Garage doors aren’t just a great addition to boost your home’s curb appeal; they’re one of the best investments you can make to get the highest return. But with virtually endless options to choose from, where do you even begin? From style and color to material and functionality, it can quickly become overwhelming.
Thankfully, there’s a better way to navigate your journey to finding the perfect garage door. Here is everything you need to know about how to choose a garage door style that perfectly fits your home.
Match your home’s style
One of the best ways to narrow in on the perfect garage door is to match your home’s current style. Whether you want your garage door to be the main focal point or blend in with the rest of your house, you can find one that perfectly meshes with its look and feel.
- For traditional or ranch style homes: Consider a garage door that complements your home instead of stealing the attention, like a conventional steel or wood door with no windows.
- For modern homes: Minimalist, sleek designs can help emphasize the unique architectural aspects of your home. You might opt for a metal or glass door with a unique characteristic, like windows on the side of the door instead of the top.
- For cottage or carriage homes: Consider a bright or wooden garage door with farmhouse accents. By adding windows to the top, you can complement the bright and airy facade of your home.
Take it up a notch with your garage door type
Once you’ve selected the right style of garage door, elevate that even more by choosing the type for your home. An easy rule of thumb with this is to have your door type complement your style. Here’s what we mean:
- Panel doors: These are known as the more conventional garage doors because they simply roll up and down. As you’d guess, these complement traditional and ranch style homes the best.
- Swing doors: These garage doors swing outward to open up, and are a great choice for modern-style homes.
- Sliding doors: Perfect for cottage or carriage homes, sliding doors mimic barn doors by sliding left or right.
Choose the perfect color or finish
Because garage doors account for a large part of your home’s entire visual appeal, the color and finish can make it stand out even more. With so many colors and finishes to choose from, this part of the process can become overwhelming, but here are a few ideas to get you started. You can choose to:
- Match the color of your home to help it blend in
- Pick an accent color to match your home’s accents, like the front door, shutters, or roof
- Select a wood finish that matches wooden beams and columns
- Go for a bold color that complements your home’s color — or stands out entirely
- Add some texture with paneling and hardware accents
Consider efficiency and durability
Beyond the physical look of your garage door, you also want to ensure you’re still making a practical and useful investment. Consider some energy-efficient options like insulation to help with temperature control, especially if the garage is attached to your home. If you live in an area prone to severe weather, opt for a material that can withstand elements like wind, rain, hail, and drastic temperature changes.
Can’t choose? Build your own!
If you’re having a difficult time choosing a garage door or can’t quite find what you’re looking for, build a customized one! At American Garage Door, our experts can work with you to build the exact wood garage you want a need. You can also choose additional options like:
- Painted or stained
- Finished or unfinished
- Decorative hardware
- Glass windows
Find the perfect garage door for your home
If you need help choosing a garage door style that fits your Denver area home, check out American Garage Door. We’ll not only help you find (or build) your perfect garage door, but we’ll also help with installation, upkeep, and any repairs that you may need down the road. Ready to give your home the ultimate facelift? Contact us to request a quote today!