The holidays are a wonderful time of year filled with festive music, gift-giving, and — of course — decorating your home. While we love nothing more than creating a winter wonderland inside, there are endless, creative possibilities in your own front yard. Here, we’re sharing some of our favorite how-tos for decorating the outside of your home for the holidays (including your garage door).
Bring the light
Stringing lights outside is one of the most traditional ways to get your home in the holiday spirit. It may take several extra extension chords, but the end result is always worth it. Some of our favorite bright ideas for lights include:
- Framing your roof, doors, and windows
- Illuminating driveways and walkways (think lanterns and candy canes)
- Stringing icicle lights for an extra wintry touch
- Adding lights to trees and bushes (don’t forget ornaments for a special touch)
Another reason lights are great for decorating? You can craft your own style. For a more classic look, stick with warm, white lights. If you want some extra holiday sparkle, go all-out with colorful lights! Pro tip: If heights aren’t your thing, no worries! Opt for a holiday projector instead.
Make it fun
Inflatables are great for taking up a lot of space without taking up time. With so many options, you can mix and match some of your personal holiday favorites, like:
- Santa’s sleigh
- Polar bears
- Candy canes
- Christmas trees
- Holiday movie characters
Plus, many of these inflatables have timers so you can inflate after the sun sets and not worry about having your new yard accessories up all day long without the proper (and festive) lighting.
If you want to opt for a more classic holiday look, you can never go wrong with wreaths. They’re simple, elegant, and add the perfect look to any home. Add them to places like:
- Empty pots and planters
- Garage doors
- And anywhere else you’d like!
Pro tip: You can also use deconstructed wreaths to frame your front door and windows!
Decorate your garage door
We may be a little biased here, but one of our favorite things to decorate is garage doors. After all, garages can take up as much as 40% of your home’s facade, so they deserve some holiday decor, too. Some of our favorite ideas include:
- Adding a giant bow to make your garage door look like a gift. You can even add wrapping paper underneath for an extra special touch!
- Creating a giant snowman’s face. The top-hat can go above or on the corner of your garage!
- Placing fun decals like snowflakes, ornaments, or Santa peeking through one of the windows
- Adding an adhesive mural
- Stringing garland or lights above
- Hanging stockings. Bonus points if you can make your garage door look like a fireplace!
Happy Holidays from American Garage Door!
For all your winter garage door needs, American Garage Door in Denver is here to help. Whether you need a routine maintenance check, an insulated garage door, or emergency repair services, we have you covered throughout the holidays and beyond. From our family to yours: We wish you a wonderful and safe holiday season!